Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Christmas Story: The Musical @RoseTheaterCo

Last Friday we had the best experience of the season. We got to go see A Christmas Story: The Musical at The Rose Theater


We were all excited to see the musical. A Christmas Story is our families favorite holiday movie. The show was similar to the movie, but also had it's own style. 

The show is best for ages 5 and up. It runs 2 hours long including an intermission. During the intermission there are cookies and drinks served. After the show there is a chance for kids to get autographs on their programs, or stay in the main part of the theater for questions and answers about the musical.

About the Musical:

If you've seen the movie, you pretty much have an idea of what this musical is about. Christmas is a huge deal to Ralphie Parker. His dream gift is to get a Red Ryder 200-Shot Carbine Action Range Model Air Rifle. His mom, teacher and Santa do not like the idea of Ralphie having a gun. They all say, 

"You'll shoot your eye out!"


His Dad doesn't seem to pay attention to much of anything except for his major award, which is the iconic leg lamp.
 

Ralphie's mom isn't thrilled with the leg lamp that sat in their front window. She broke it.


The Red Gyder BB gun was in all kinds of ads and advertisements. Ralphie couldn't keep his mind off of it. 


Ralphie almost lost all hope for Christmas when he gets a pink bunny suit from his aunt.

 

Finally Ralphie's dream came true. He got his Red Ryder 200-Shot Carbine Action Range Model Air Rifle.

 

Other Iconic Things That Happen in the Musical are: 

When Ralphie's friend got his tongue stuck to the frozen pole. Your tongue really will stick to a frozen pole, so don't try this!

 

When Ralphie said the word, Fudge, but actually said something else.


Ralphie's brother Randy being stuffed in his snowsuit.  





Other Tid Bits About the Musical:

The story had a narrator, which did a wonderful job! The only thing I did not understand, was that the narrator's name was "Jean Shepherd". He is supposed to be an older version of Ralphie. I was wondering is "Jean" is Ralphie's given name? I may have to ask. The Rose Theater welcomes questions. 

*Update:

The Rose Theater contacted me back right away on my question about the narrator. A Christmas Story was based on the writings of Jean Shepherd, who is an actual person…a radio commentator. He had a popular radio show where he talked about his life. In his books, Shepherd explains that the stories aren’t necessarily factual recounts from his own life, but rather collective memories — things that might have happened to him, to his friends, to his family, or even things that might not be exactly true, but just fuzzy images from his past. 

It is easy to miss in the show, but at the beginning of the play, when Dave Wingert’s character (which is listed as Jean Shepherd in the script) starts telling the story, he says, “Now, when I say the word ‘I,’ I don’t mean me, necessarily. It’s a universal ‘I.’ And the ‘I’ in this particular story is Ralphie Parker.”

 

They do not mention, "Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine." in the musical.

There is a full blown orchestra in a stage below the musical that is before your eyes. That's pretty cool!

The set was pretty amazing. Isaak loved watching the house transform into other things.

Dates and Times Shown:
Double check that they are not sold out shows!

Fri. Dec. 127 pm
Sat. Dec. 132 pm
Sun. Dec. 142 pm
Fri. Dec. 197 pm
Sat. Dec. 202 pm and 7 pm
Sat. Dec. 207 pm
Sun. Dec. 212 pm
Fri. Dec. 267 pm
Sat. Dec. 272 and 7 pm
Sat. Dec. 277 pm
Sun. Dec. 282 pm and 7 pm
Sun. Dec. 287 pm

December 20 has interruption for hearing impaired.

Cast and Crew:
There are a lot of people in A Christmas Story: The Musical. I'm listing the main characters.

  • Jean Shepherd: Dave Wingert
  • Old Man: Konrad Case
  • Mother: Angela Jenson-Frey
  • Ralphie: Danny Denenberg
  • Randy: Jude Glaser
  • Miss Shields: Lauren Krupski
  • Director: Matt Gutschick
  • Choreographer: Sue Gillespie Booton
  • Musical Director/Conductor: Jerry Brabec
My son's love pointing out the actors they have seen before in other productions. They all did a wonderful job with remembering their lines. Their voices were amazing! We were very entertained during this musical!


Prices: Ticket reservations are required, with prices from $20-$25. Discount ticket vouchers
and a Kid Cuisine special purchase voucher for main floor seating are available at all area Hy-
Vee stores. For information or to make reservations, call The Rose Box Office at 402-345-4849
or visit rosetheater.org. 


Sponsors: Children’s Hospital & Medical Center, Nebraska Furniture Mart, Kid Cuisine, Hy-Vee, Q98-Five, the Nebraska Arts Council, the Nebraska Cultural Endowment and WOWT NBC Omaha.

Disclaimer: I'm writing this in connection to The Rose Theater. I was given tickets from The Rose Theater. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.


The Apel's The Apel's The Apel's The Apel's The Apel'sThe Apel's

9 comments:

Cascia Talbert said...

We love A Christmas Story! I had no idea that it was turned into a musical. I bet you had a lot of fun watching it.

~ Noelle said...

How much fun is that???? I know Broxton would love it.
So glad you guys get to go to these shows!

Masshole Mommy said...

Chris and I saw this last year when it was in Boston. It was really fun!

Theresa Mahoney said...

I want to see the live play so bad! I don't think it's going on here though :( It looks like you had an amazing time!

Eat To Live said...

What a cute story. We don't have any plays like that around here

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl said...

I LOVE A Christmas Story! It is not Christmas without watching that movie. I bet it is SO fantastic as a musical!

Kim said...

Great pictures! How close were you guys to the stage?!

Lisa Trudell said...

This is one of our favorite holiday movies. Love that the Rose is doing this musical. Great for kids and adults alike.

Jamie | Jamie's Recipe said...

How fun! I love The Rose and A Christmas Story, I wish this show would have fit into our busy schedule. It looks like it was a blast.

Disclaimer

The opinions on this blog are my personal take on products and topics relating to motherhood. This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me.

I am not compensated to provide opinions on a variety of topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are my own. If I claim to show knowledge of certain topic or product I will only endorse products or services that I feel, based on my expertise, are worthy of such endorsement.

If you have any questions about this blog, or want to get in contact with me please email me at: anapeladay@gmail.com